Monday, October 3, 2011

Lesson 3 - Climbing and Descending.

5 Jun 2011       Warrior VH-TXH

Today we are taking out VH-TXH again for my 3rd lesson - Climbing and Descending.  Last week I learnt about Power, Attitude and Speed configurations for straight and level.  Today I'm going to learn the configurations for climbs and descents.
(Photo : Mikebert4 )

A 8:30 start, run-up and taxi out to 35R for take-off to the training area.

There are 3 basic climb configurations I need to remember;
  • Best angle of climb - when you want to get over something. eg over trees or a hill near the end of a runway - Full Power, Horizon near the bottom corner of the front window, 63knots.
  • Best rate of climb is used to gain height in the shortest amount of time.  It is the climb configuration we use when taking off from Moorabbin.  Full power, Nose on the horizon, 79knots, and finally 
  • Cruise climb which is a compromise between gaining height and covering distance. Full power, 85knots (I've forgotten the attitude - will have to ask Jason next lesson)
So once I get the plane into the required configuration we need to keep on top of our scan  L.A.P - Lookout, Attitude, Performance.
  • Lookout - keep my focus outside the plane looking for other aircraft and drop the nose every 500ft to check nothing in front of the plane, 
  • Attitude - maintain the correct attitude. If the plane is trim correctly it should almost do it by itself, and 
  • Performance - a quick scan to check IAS, RPM, Oil temperature and pressure, heading, climb rate etc
Then there is the transition back to Straight & Level.   Unlike going into a climb or a descent I need to let the get the right Attitude, Let the Speed increase and then adjust the Power and Trim so A.S.P.T.  Makes sense when I think about it.

After practicing a few climbs its time for descents. 2 key configurations for me to remember; Best Glide and Cruise descent.

  • Best Glide Power Idle, Speed 73 kts,  Attitude whatever is required to maintain 73kts.  This is a very important configuration.  Its the one I'll use if we have engine failure.  
  • Cruise descent Power 2200rpm, Speed 105kts, Attitude about 6 fingers between the dash and horizon.  This configuration will simplify the ETA calculate on cross country flights.
When entering a descent I need to remember to bleed some speed before I setup the correct attitude (this is done by keeping the nose up until we are close to the required speed).   Almost P.S.A.T

So after practicing a few descents it was time to head back via GMH.  GMH is a distinctive factory with a flat saw tooth roof in Dandendong.  We Descend to 1500ft and contact Moorabbin and report.  We are directed to report at "Parkmore" which is a shopping centre between GMH and Moorabbin. We descend to 1000ft and report Parkmore.  We are given clearance to join base for 35R number 2.   We quickly spot the proceeding aircraft and follow it into land.  While I fly most of the approach, Jason is managing the radio, checks, etc. and handles the actual landing.  Worth checking out CASA On Track.

Another great lesson.  I'm really enjoy the challenge and while nothing I do is smooth or instinctive, I can already see the improvement  in my Straight and level flying when compared to last week.

Piper Warrior III VH-TXH,  Flight Time 1.2hr (Total 3.4hrs)


No comments:

Post a Comment